I have gotten the bug. It has bit me hard and will not let go. I am a backpacker.
Well not yet. I only have the gear. I have been reading the wonderful book by Bill Bryson “A Walk In The Woods” and I thought if these old out of shape guys can do this, A young out of shape guy should have no problem.
I live in southern California and I have always wanted to visit Palomar mountain as I have heard it is beautiful and camper friendly (showers and running water). I took two days off and I am getting ready to do an overnight. I have a week long trip planned with my wife and two of my buddies at the end of June so this is more of a trial run than anything but it will be nice to get out there by myself for 36 hours. Here is a list of the things I am going to bring (feel free to comment and give me any advice):
- Backpack: Osprey Atmos 65 (L)
- Sleeping Bag: Kelty Tuck 22
- Tent: Alps Mountaineering Lynx – 1
- Sleeping Pad: Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad
- Trekking Poles: BAFX Hiking poles
- Water filtration: sawyer mini
- Stove: etekcity (10) + fuel canister
- Hiking hat
- 2 mesh shirts
- 2 hiking shorts
- 2 exoficcio underwear
- 2 pair of wicking socks + 2 pair of wool socks
- Hiking boots
- Solar Charger: ECOdept solar usb charger
- First aid kit
- Bug netting
- Chap stick and medicines
- Head light and batteries
- Towel: portable quickdry
- Sporks and pot set
- Dry bags
- Bug spray
- Sun screen
- Flip flops
- Light Jacket: Columbia windbreaker
- Light pants: Columbia zip offs
- Hydration pack + water bottle
- Rain cover/ poncho
- Cell phone/wallet/keys
- E-cigarette (unnecessary once I finally quit, hooray)
- Party supplies (woot)
- Toilet paper
- Cleaning (soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, and tooth picks)
- Food (trail mix, beef jerky, 2 dinner MRE and 2 breakfast MRE, fruit cups)
Here is a map of the campground. It has just over 9 miles of trails. I want to hike them all (legs willing).
When I get back on Thursday, I will post pictures and tell you all how it went. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice given.
*Don’t forget to like, share, and feel free to buy me a coffee maybe?